noun[treated as singular or plural]
- (Especially in Marxist terminology) the unorganized and unpolitical lower orders of society who are not interested in revolutionary advancement.More example sentences
- This wallows in the dirt, squalor, drunkenness and mechanical, dehumanised sexuality of those who live on the margins of society, where the artistic petty bourgeois merges with the lumpenproletariat.
- The multigeneration denizens of public housing can readily be compared to Karl Marx's lumpenproletariat.
- The bloody woman can't tell the lumpenproletariat from the skilled working class.
1920s: from German (a term originally used by Karl Marx), from Lumpen 'rag, rogue' + proletariat.
More definitions of lumpenproletariatDefinition of lumpenproletariat in:
- The US English dictionary