noun[mass noun] Biochemistry
- A deep yellow pigment of the xanthophyll class, found in the leaves of plants, in egg yolk, and in the corpus luteum.More example sentences
- Companies don't usually test for phytochemicals like lutein or lycopene because they're not yet considered nutrients.
- In this study, visual function is improved with lutein alone or lutein together with other nutrients.
- While the root of the beet is a nutritional powerhouse, the leaves are just as potent, containing antioxidant carotenoids, chlorophyll and lutein.
mid 19th century: from Latin luteum 'yolk of egg' (neuter of luteus 'yellow') + -in1.
More definitions of luteinDefinition of lutein in:
- The US English dictionary