(also litchi or lichee)
- 1A small rounded fruit with sweet white scented flesh, a large central stone, and a thin rough skin.More example sentences
- To follow, I would make the most of those papaya, lychees and passion fruit that are looking so good this month.
- Based only on my experiences at The City Bakery, lychees are my favorite fruit - and they're not even a fruit!
- So if you crave something sweet, try its opulent fruit salad loaded with kiwi, mango, pineapple, grapes and strawberries or tinned lychees (the only fruit that is arguably as good tinned as fresh).
- 2The Chinese tree which bears lychees.
More example sentences
- Nephelium litchi (or Litchi chinensis), family Sapindaceae
- In the lush green foothills above town, I'd found every incline, even a slope that seemed too steep to climb, cultivated with longan, lychee, pineapple, betel nut or banana.
- ‘Collecting, preserving, and classifying lychee and longan trees is especially critical,’ Zee emphasizes.
- ‘The lychee and longan industry in Hawaii is still quite small, with just a few farms and some productive backyard trees,’ she says.
late 16th century: from Chinese lìzhī.
More definitions of lycheeDefinition of lychee in:
- The US English dictionary