- A stringed instrument like a small U-shaped harp with strings fixed to a crossbar, used especially in ancient Greece. Modern instruments of this type are found mainly in East Africa.More example sentences
- We also had this ‘wind harp,’ a lyre with gut strings, that we'd de-tuned and stuck out in the wind on the truck.
- The angels are playing a collection of musical instruments, including the harp, tambourine, cymbals, lyre and psaltery.
- These include harps, lyres, whistles, horns, pan-pipes, bones, psalteries and some form of drum.
Middle English: via Old French lire and Latin lyra from Greek lura.
More definitions of lyreDefinition of lyre in:
- The US English dictionary