noun[mass noun] South African
- 1Sorghum of a variety grown in southern Africa, used for making porridge and beer.More example sentences
- Other products obtained from SA include Mabela meal, Ting meal, sorghum malt, Mnanti beer powder, King Korn, and sorghum rice.
- 1.1Meal or porridge made from mabela.More example sentences
- For breakfast we eat mabela (sorghum).
- Many farmers replaced sorghum - served as mabela - with maize because the sorghum was too quickly devoured by birds.
early 19th century: compare with Zulu and Xhosa amabele, plural of ibele.