A large long-tailed parrot with brightly coloured plumage, native to Central and South America.
- Ara and related genera: family Psittacidae: several species
More example sentences
- Mexico is home to toucans, vultures, hummingbirds, woodpeckers, parrots, macaws, and quetzals.
- Bird watchers are drawn from all over the world in search of species such as parrots, parakeets, hyacinth macaws, and wood storks.
- Among the 16 birds taken were Amazon and African grey parrots and macaws, along with two kittens, one rabbit and a chinchilla.
early 17th century: from obsolete Portuguese macau, of unknown origin.
Definition of macaw in:
- The US English dictionary