Cunning, scheming, and unscrupulous, especially in politics: a whole range of outrageous Machiavellian manoeuvres
More example sentences
- At best, bottle blondes are equated with an artifice - think Pamela Anderson, Melinda Messenger - and at worst, deceitfulness and Machiavellian scheming.
- But however astute or realist Burnham's Machiavellian insight into power politics was, he rarely showed any capacity for canny negotiation himself.
- Here, of course, was a classic case of Machiavellian politics: the attempt to bend the will of the party to his view by fair means or foul.
devious, cunning, crafty, artful, wily, sly, scheming, designing, conniving, opportunistic, insidious, treacherous, perfidious, two-faced, Janus-faced, tricky, double-dealing, unscrupulous, deceitful, dishonest
A person who schemes in a Machiavellian way.
- As Sartre admitted in his eulogy, ‘He reaffirmed the existence of moral fact within the heart of our era… against the Machiavellians, against the golden calf of realism.’
- And why have these Machiavellians become idealists?
- Successful Machiavellians are far more interesting than the ones who botch it up or do it so obviously that they some how lose the Machiavellian nature of it in the process!
- Example sentences
- Since loyalty is the only game in town, these ‘loyal cadres’ do not feed the reflection of the state or bureaucracy, but the Machiavellianism of the state.
- But Italy still has a streak of sporting Machiavellianism a mile wide, and his prospects of staying the course remain in the balance.
- He should be taught as a study in Machiavellianism to future generations.
Words that rhyme with MachiavellianChellean, Orwellian, Sabellian, Trevelyan, triskelion
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: Ma¦chia|vel¦lian
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.