noun (plural same or mackerels)
- A predatory marine fish with a greenish-blue back, important as a food fish.
More example sentences
- Scomber and other genera, family Scombridae (the mackerel family): many species, in particular the North Atlantic mackerel (S. scombrus)
- Most scombrids (tunas, mackerels, and bonitos) are important food, commercial, and sport fishes.
- Vitamin D is found in egg yolk, butter and oily fish such as salmon, trout, mackerel, herring and sardine.
- Barracuda eat squid and small fish such as sardines, anchovies, young mackerels and grunions.
Middle English: from Old French maquerel, of unknown origin.
More definitions of mackerelDefinition of mackerel in:
- The US English dictionary