Definition of macroevolution in English:
noun[mass noun] Biology
Major evolutionary change, especially with regard to the evolution of whole taxonomic groups over long periods of time.
- The next generation of advances in macroevolution and evolutionary paleoecology will not occur until a well-tested phylogenetic classification is established.
- Creationists are usually more careful about distinguishing between microevolution and macroevolution at this point.
- The creation science folks accept microevolution but not macroevolution.
- 1macroevolutionary adjective
- Example sentences
- Thus, adaptation-oriented studies of characters have expanded from microevolutionary studies of function and fitness to include macroevolutionary studies of phylogenetic patterns.
- The association between environmental changes and biogeographic and macroevolutionary changes is potentially an important area of paleontological research.
- Despite these findings, one would think that natural selection could produce macroevolutionary changes in bristle number without the inevitable derangement of either ribosome production or the PNS.
Definition of macroevolution in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.