- A written or printed mark (¯) used to indicate a long vowel in some languages, or a stressed vowel in verse.More example sentences
- As in the transliteration of Sanskrit, the macron over the letter indicates that the sound of the vowel is lengthened, thus kan is pronounced ‘koh-an’, with the emphasis on the first syllable.
- However, diphthongs and macrons are seldom used in modern Romanji to differentiate the vowels with multiple sounds (like the long O).
- We are, just barely, in Kaneohe (which might really be Kane'ohe, but none of the maps have the macrons, so I've given up using them anywhere).
mid 19th century: from Greek makron, neuter of makros 'long'.
More definitions of macronDefinition of macron in:
- The US English dictionary