- A small rich sponge cake, baked in a fluted tin or mould and decorated with coconut and jam.More example sentences
- Eat hot with warm sponge cake or madeleines or eat thoroughly chilled aside a little mound of equal quantities of thick yoghurt and whipped cream.
- In particular, Pascale had baked chocolate hazelnut madeleines, which she insisted were ‘ratées’ (failed).
- I think that is a reasonable excuse to drop what we are doing and bake a batch of madeleines, don't you?
French, probably named after Madeleine Paulmier, 19th-century French pastry cook.
More definitions of madeleineDefinition of madeleine in:
- The US English dictionary