1A strong cotton fabric with colourful stripes or checks: [as modifier]: a short-sleeved madras shirt
More example sentences
- For women's wear, the firm generated interest with its crushed voile in small plaids and stronger madras plaids, noted Luc Wende, marketing manager.
- The costume features madras fabric, introduced from India after Antigua won independence.
- He wore a Shazi polo shirt - a mixture of black and madras cloth.
2A dish of meat, fish, or vegetables in a hot curry sauce.
- There were about 15 main dishes in total, including about half-a-dozen for vegetarians, with all the sauces being pretty much run-of-the-mill, such as korma, madras and jalfrezi.
- Just when you think you couldn't possibly see another choice, a new page opens up in the menu, hitting you with dhansak, dupiaza, madras and vindaloo.
- After these there are nine chicken varieties including a madras, korma and vindaloo.
Mid 19th century: by association with Madras.
Words that rhyme with Madrasbrass, carse, class, coup de grâce, farce, glass, grass, Grasse, impasse, Kars, kick-ass, kvass, Laplace, Maas, outclass, pass, sparse, stained glass, surpass, upper class, volte-face
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan