- 1A strong cotton fabric with colourful stripes or checks: [as modifier]: a short-sleeved madras shirtMore example sentences
- For women's wear, the firm generated interest with its crushed voile in small plaids and stronger madras plaids, noted Luc Wende, marketing manager.
- The costume features madras fabric, introduced from India after Antigua won independence.
- He wore a Shazi polo shirt - a mixture of black and madras cloth.
- 2A dish of meat, fish, or vegetables in a hot curry sauce.More example sentences
- There were about 15 main dishes in total, including about half-a-dozen for vegetarians, with all the sauces being pretty much run-of-the-mill, such as korma, madras and jalfrezi.
- Just when you think you couldn't possibly see another choice, a new page opens up in the menu, hitting you with dhansak, dupiaza, madras and vindaloo.
- After these there are nine chicken varieties including a madras, korma and vindaloo.
mid 19th century: by association with Madras.
More definitions of MadrasDefinition of madras in:
- The US English dictionary