A small North American freshwater catfish which has a venom gland at the base of the pectoral fin spines.
- Genus Noturus, family Ictaluridae: numerous species
More example sentences
- Most of the species in this family are the small, stream-dwelling madtoms, which are relatively rare in the Northeast where Ameiurus and Ictalurus are more common.
- The pygmy madtom is one of the rarest fishes in North America; only about 50 specimens have ever been collected.
- The slabrocks were also being used by several other darter species, as well as madtoms.
Definition of madtom in:
- The US English dictionary