- 1A figure regarded as significant in a particular context.More example sentences
- Wallace figured the magic number was about 40,000 responses.
- ‘Eighteen holes isn't a magic number for the average golfer,’ notes Orender.
- One man from Dublin, who wished to remain anonymous, instantly knew he had the ticket with the magic numbers 4, 6, 18, 31, 39, 42.
- 1.1 Baseball The number which, at a given stage in the season, signifies the combination of wins for the first-placed team and defeats for the second-placed team which will assure the former of finishing the season in first place in its division: Boston’s magic number remained two as the Yankees beat the Blue Jays last nightMore example sentences
- The Cardinals have won only three of eight, but reduced their magic number for clinching the division to four.
- Chicago's lead in the AL Central dropped to two games over idle Cleveland and its magic number remained at five to clinch the division.
- With eight straight wins under their belt, they woke up this Sunday having opened a 5.5 game lead on the Sox, and their magic number for winning the AL East is down to 10.
More definitions of magic numberDefinition of magic number in:
- The US English dictionary