(also magical realism)
A literary or artistic genre in which realistic narrative and naturalistic technique are combined with surreal elements of dream or fantasy.
More example sentences
- In her new collection of short fiction titled Engum Vaanam, she has introduced a number of narrative techniques that range from fantasy to magical realism.
- I'm really interested to know how you deal with incorporating surrealism or magical realism into your stories.
- His principal mode is literary realism, though his second novel invokes the magic realism of a Toni Morrison work in its portrait of Roscoe's father's ghost.
- More example sentences
- Stylistically, Pycletius is judged an early magic realist, with tributes to his work by Calvino, Emile dell'Ova, and Borges.
- Think of it as something like a cross between a fairy tale and a magic realist novel.
- The truth about Carroll is that he's a magic realist who plunders our unconscious for profound emotional truths.
Definition of magic realism in:
- The US English dictionary