- The teaching authority of the Roman Catholic Church, especially as exercised by bishops or the Pope.More example sentences
- Who are you to set yourself up as an individual in opposition to the pope and the authentic magisterium?
- Curran ought to restrict use of the term ‘teaching’ to the formal exercise of the ecclesiastical magisterium.
- The mandate requires the professor to ‘teach authentic Catholic doctrine and to refrain from putting forth as Catholic teaching anything contrary to the church's magisterium.’
mid 19th century: Latin, 'the office of master', from magister (see magister).
More definitions of magisteriumDefinition of magisterium in:
- The US English dictionary