- A North Australian termite which builds tall flattened mounds that are aligned north-south.
More example sentences
- Amitermes meridionalis, family Termitidae
- Magnetic termites (Amitermes meridionalis) are adapted to living on floodplains with waterlogged soil.
- The Magnetic Termite Amitermes meridionalis occurs only in a small part of the Northern Territory of Australia and builds famous wedge-shaped mounds with an elongated axis that is orientated in a striking north-south direction.
- The Magnetic termites up north are grass- eaters only; other mound builders will eat grass and/or solid wood.