noun (plural magnetos)
- A small electric generator containing a permanent magnet and used to provide high-voltage pulses, especially (formerly) in the ignition systems of internal-combustion engines.More example sentences
- A review of the aircraft's maintenance records did not disclose any previous work written up as having been performed on the magnetos or engine ignition system.
- If it's fuel or oil pressure, think pumps; for fuel quantity, think tanks or cross-feed; for temperature, think mixture, cowl flaps and air flow; for air, think carburetor heat or alternate air; and for ignition, think magnetos.
- Wartime models had only steel wheels, a magneto and hand crank, instead of a battery.
late 19th century: abbreviation of magneto-electric.
More definitions of magnetoDefinition of magneto in:
- The US English dictionary