- 1Relating to the electric currents generated in a material by its motion in a magnetic field.More example sentences
- Capt. S.B. Luce, United States Navy, commanding the flagship Hartford, has been conducting a series of experiments with a patent magneto-electric machine and automatic lamp, which it was proposed to introduce in the Navy for distant signaling at night, for detecting the approach of boats, and signaling in a fog.
- Various machines have been contrived for the production of magneto-electric currents; one of the most convenient of which is Saxton's magnetelectric machine.
- 1.1(Of an electric generator) using permanent magnets.More example sentences
- A notable modification in the construction of magneto- electric generators was made by Dr. Werner Siemens, of Berlin, in 1857, who greatly improved the shape of the armature-bobbins.
- Also magneto-electric generators, with electromagnets, which are excited by currents from a separate generator, are not influenced by the disturbances in the circuit a circumstance which gives this arrangement great advantage over the ordinary dynamo-electric machines.
More definitions of magneto-electricDefinition of magneto-electric in:
- The US English dictionary