- A large edible freshwater fish of the carp family, native to northern India and the Himalayan region.
More example sentences
- Genus Tor, family Cyprinidae: several species, especially the Putitor mahseer (T. putitora)
- Expeditions in pursuit of Atlantic blue marlin, Indian mahseer, tiger fish, Pacific salmon were the norm and what fantastic prize trips they were.
- Plenty of photos of huge fish of all kinds - 90 lb mahseer from India, 200 lb stingrays, huge sharks, sailfish, carp - you name it and he's caught it.
- It was a long time before we found a spot to pull in for the night, a nice beach with the rapids breaking not too far away, it wasn't long before a fish of 15-20 lb leapt of the water, not a mahseer though.
via Hindi from Sanskrit mahā 'great' + śaphara 'carp'.