(also mahwa ˈməʊwə)
Definition of mahua in English:
1An Indian tree which has fleshy edible flowers and yields oil-rich seeds.
- Madhuca latifolia, family Sapotaceae
- Access to products like mahua (butter tree), tendu leaf and edible gum is a matter of life and death to the tribals.
- Every part of the famed illupai tree (Madhuca longifolia, mahua in Hindi, or ‘butter tree ‘) can be used.
- The women also pick up mahua, a kind of flower with which they make liquor.
1.1 [mass noun] An alcoholic drink produced from the nectar-rich flowers of the mahua.
- He retained mahua liquor and tribal sensuality, but brought in the prissiness of the urban middleclass, plus his own reticence.
- Lawrence [went] to the wilds of Purulia where he set up home with a Santhal woman, ate begun-pora and drank mahua religiously each evening.
Definition of mahua in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.