(also mahwa ˈməʊwə)
Definition of mahua in English:
1An Indian tree which has fleshy edible flowers and yields oil-rich seeds.
- Madhuca latifolia, family Sapotaceae
- Access to products like mahua (butter tree), tendu leaf and edible gum is a matter of life and death to the tribals.
- Every part of the famed illupai tree (Madhuca longifolia, mahua in Hindi, or ‘butter tree ‘) can be used.
- The women also pick up mahua, a kind of flower with which they make liquor.
1.1 [mass noun] An alcoholic drink produced from the nectar-rich flowers of the mahua.
- He retained mahua liquor and tribal sensuality, but brought in the prissiness of the urban middleclass, plus his own reticence.
- Lawrence [went] to the wilds of Purulia where he set up home with a Santhal woman, ate begun-pora and drank mahua religiously each evening.
Definition of mahua in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan