Chief in size or importance: a main road the main problem is one of resources
More example sentences
- With the forthcoming London mayoral elections in June, the three main candidates have thrown their hats into the ring.
- The only way out is the one and only main gate.
- I wandered about, and sat for a while in the main choir listening to the organ.
principal, chief, head, leading, foremost, most important, major, ruling, dominant, central, focal, key, prime, master, premier, primary, first, high, grand, fundamental, supreme, predominant, (most) prominent, pre-eminent, paramount, overriding, cardinal, crucial, vital, critical, capital, pivotal, salient, elemental, essential, staple, intrinsic, urgent
nounBack to top
1A principal pipe carrying water or gas to buildings, or taking sewage from them: [with modifier]: a faulty gas main
More example sentences
- It was also delivering water to the camp, where many mains and sewage pipes are broken.
- Numerous leaks have developed from broken water pipes and mains.
- There were reports of broken water and gas mains around northern Kyushu, and bullet trains and other railways and subways suspended operations, but later resumed running.
1.2 (the mains) British The source of public water, gas, or electricity supply through pipes or cables: the camcorder can be run directly off the mains [as modifier]: switch off the mains supply
More example sentences
- Turn off gas, electricity and water supplies at the mains.
- The owner will have to install private drainage, link up to the mains water and electricity and rebuild the property under the watchful eye of the park planners.
- A spokesman for Essex and Suffolk Water, who sent technicians on Friday, said that a leak had been found in the mains water supply.
- 1by main force
- Through sheer strength: we will prevail not by main force but by negotiationMore example sentences
- The point of the author is that the accursed sons are trying to claim the blessing given to Shem by main force, as though power and strength are our salvation.
- The initial reflex of the regime was to do what it has always done, i.e. crushing the slightest show of opposition by main force.
- And then we shall henceforth decide by main force what truth and goodness shall be.
- 2in the main
- On the whole: we must remember that in the main we are thinking about these designs as decorationMore example sentences
- The food itself, even though important, is, in the main, a way of coalescing social life.
- The Church was vibrant, tolerant and its priests were in the main, hard working.
- These, in the main, are young people committing offences against other young people.
Words that rhyme with mainabstain, appertain, arcane, arraign, ascertain, attain, Bahrain, bane, blain, brain, Braine, Cain, Caine, campaign, cane, cinquain, chain, champagne, champaign, Champlain, Charmaine, chicane, chow mein, cocaine, Coleraine, Coltrane, complain, constrain, contain, crane, Dane, deign, demesne, demi-mondaine, detain, disdain, domain, domaine, drain, Duane, Dwane, Elaine, entertain, entrain, explain, fain, fane, feign, gain, Germaine, germane, grain, humane, Hussein, inane, Jain, Jane, Jermaine, Kane, La Fontaine, lain, lane, legerdemain, Lorraine, Maine, maintain, mane, mise en scène, Montaigne, moraine, mundane, obtain, ordain, Paine, pane, pertain, plain, plane, Port-of-Spain, profane, rain, Raine, refrain, reign, rein, retain, romaine, sane, Seine, Shane, Sinn Fein, skein, slain, Spain, Spillane, sprain, stain, strain, sustain, swain, terrain, thane, train, twain, Ujjain, Ukraine, underlain, urbane, vain, vane, vein, Verlaine, vicereine, wain, wane, Wayne
2 historical A match between fighting cocks.
- At a big cockfight main with Massa Lea early during the 1824 season, Uncle Mingo heard from an old trainer he had known for years that a hackfight was due to be held that coming Saturday afternoon behind the large barn of a local plantation.
Late 16th century: probably from the phrase main chance.
Words that rhyme with Mainalign, assign, benign, brine, chine, cline, combine, condign, confine, consign, dine, divine, dyne, enshrine, entwine, fine, frontline, hardline, interline, intertwine, kine, Klein, line, malign, mine, moline, nine, on-line, opine, outshine, pine, Rhein, Rhine, shine, shrine, sign, sine, spine, spline, stein, Strine, swine, syne, thine, tine, trine, twine, Tyne, underline, undermine, vine, whine, wine
Definition of main in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.