- 1The principal sail of a ship, especially the lowest sail on the mainmast in a square-rigged vessel.More example sentences
- Hornblower watched as both ships backed the mainsails, turned the helm hard over, and took up the prescribed position.
- As the galley righted itself, another wave struck from the other side, and the ship heeled over so far its mainsail almost touched the water.
- While the mainsail provides a large portion of power, it also affects the boat's directional control.
More definitions of mainsailDefinition of mainsail in:
- The US English dictionary