noun[mass noun] British
- A Central American cereal plant which yields large grains (corn or sweetcorn) set in rows on a cob. The many varieties include some used for stockfeed and corn oil.
More example sentences
- Zea mays, family Gramineae
- A similar phenotype has been observed in other species, including maize and sorghum.
- The main crops that are harvested for this are maize, rice, wheat, and potatoes.
- Previous work with wheat and barley is extended to include experiments with maize.
mid 16th century: from Spanish maíz, from Taino mahiz.
More definitions of maizeDefinition of maize in:
- The US English dictionary