- A rank of officer in the army and the US air force, above brigadier or brigadier general and below lieutenant general.More example sentences
- All ranks of lieutenant general, major general and brigadier general are staffed by men.
- The four will be commissioned as Army major generals for an approximate two-year term while serving intermittently in this role.
- Hicks was promoted from brigadier to major general before a gathering of more than 500 family, friends and co-workers.
mid 17th century: shortening of sergeant major general.
More definitions of major generalDefinition of major general in:
- The US English dictionary