Definition of makeshift in English:
Acting as an interim and temporary measure: arranging a row of chairs to form a makeshift bed
More example sentences
- Sometimes the hostels are full and homeless women are given makeshift beds, she said.
- I sat on the end of his makeshift bed and we talked about his life, family, and fishing.
- So makeshift solutions were invented, revived and refined to get back a certain air of balance.
nounBack to top
A temporary substitute or device.
- We're looking at a matchup between makeshifts on Saturday.
- Sportsmen's Hall, it turned out, was much less grand than its name implied: all makeshifts and mazes, narrow passages harbored by rude planks.
- Such makeshifts were not uncommon among late-romantics.
Words that rhyme with makeshiftdownshift • upshift
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan