(also mako shark)
noun (plural makos)
- A large fast-moving oceanic shark with a deep blue back and white underparts.
More example sentences
- Genus Isurus, family Lamnidae: two species
- Further studies are needed on other species such as the great white, mako and oceanic whitetip.
- He says even anglers who fish specifically for sharks often confuse porbeagles with mako sharks and other species.
- I think that the most disturbing fact is the noticeable decrease in the numbers of blue and mako sharks in our waters.
mid 19th century: from Maori.