- The chromosome from the father determines whether the offspring becomes male or female.
- Thus, the benefits to offspring of male incubation may be reduced in various species.
- Some females even adjust the ratio of male to female offspring depending on the circumstances.
- We women in business are measured by how many male characteristics we have.
- The slow release of testosterone ensures that sex drive and male characteristics, such as body hair, are maintained.
- We know also that in animals the male hormone, testosterone, is related to dominance and aggression.
- The pollen grain is the male gametophytic phase of flowering plants.
- The path of pollen tubes has not been investigated, as male flowers were not available.
- Live oaks produce male flowers called catkins that bloom in hanging clusters.
- The fitting also includes a male end portion configured to engage female threads on the hub of the receptacle.
- Cut another small piece of pipe and attach male adapters on both ends.
- This audio cable with male connectors on each end is used with ISDN primary rate interfaces.
- Common chimpanzees are very social animals, with males forming the closest bonds.
- Adult natal males were never observed to achieve intromission, so all complete copulations involved immigrants.
- Interactions among newborns, mothers, and adult males are rarely observed but are needed to distinguish between these hypotheses.
- Example sentences
- The distinction feminists have made between maleness and masculinity provides a clue and an analogy.
- They believe that maleness is a kind of original sin.
- I wanted to welcome men back to their wonderful maleness.
female from Middle English:
The spelling of female changed in the Middle Ages to match male, which is a quite different word. Female came via Old French femelle from Latin femella, which was a diminutive form of femina ‘woman’ source also of feminine (Late Middle English), whereas male (Late Middle English) is based on Latin masculus, from mas ‘a male person’. See also chauvinism, macho. The saying the female of the species is more deadly than the male comes originally from the 1911 poem ‘The Female of the Species’ by Rudyard Kipling. Whether the animal in question is a cobra, a she-bear, or a woman, the warning of where the greatest danger lies is the same, ‘For the female of the species is more deadly than the male’.
Words that rhyme with maleail, ale, assail, avail, bail, bale, bewail, brail, Braille, chain mail, countervail, curtail, dale, downscale, drail, dwale, entail, exhale, fail, faille, flail, frail, Gael, Gail, gale, Grail, grisaille, hail, hale, impale, jail, kale, mail, webmail, nonpareil, outsail, pail, pale, quail, rail, sail, sale, sangrail, scale, shale, snail, stale, swale, tail, tale, they'll, trail, upscale, vail, vale, veil, surveil, wail, wale, whale, Yale
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: male