- A fern with brown scales on the stalks of the fronds, found in woodland in both North America and Eurasia.
More example sentences
- Genus Dryopteris, family Dryopteridaceae: D. filix-mas and related species
- Either shade or sun suits male ferns planted in temperate regions, but full shade remains mandatory in warmer zones.
- There are tiny fiddleheads on the male ferns and ostrich ferns and the buds on the highbush cranberry are about ready to burst forth.
- These male ferns produce elegant, frilly fronds up to 3 feet long and spread if spores fall in the right conditions.
More definitions of male fernDefinition of male fern in:
- The US English dictionary