1 literary Causing harm or destruction, especially by supernatural means: she was hypnotized by the spider’s malefic eyes
More example sentences
- This suggests that the sexual aspect of the narratives was largely a trope for the strong desires that were central to both malefic witchcraft and the Evil Eye.
- At the film's climax, the malefic priest responsible for all this mischief sets his sights on the last woman in Hong Kong.
- She looked at me with coldness - the ignorant one, the fool who had passed by in the night, a person no more, malefic, absurd.
1.1 Astrology Relating to the planets Saturn and Mars, traditionally considered to have an unfavourable influence.
- Firmicus follows Manilius, adding that if malefic planets are in aspect, the native is reduced to being a door-keeper, admitting and saluting guests.
- Unless a malefic planet indicates otherwise, then one is thought to live the entire period indicated by the alchochoden.
- If a malefic planet is in this place they will be struck by sudden blindness.
- Example sentences
- Allen Buchanan and his coauthors expand the ethical concept of maleficence successfully and persuasively argue that to do no harm is a highest-order value.
- When amassed, these memory cloths become a collective indictment of the maleficence of that system.
- Spreading the liability for maleficences to newly impressed taxpayers through involuntary annexation is not the answer.
- Example sentences
- Terrible paranoiac fear gripped me, and behind every tree I suspected maleficent laughter being muffled.
- Therefore the only thing to do is participate in the life of nature, which is consequently to succumb to its maleficent mercy.
- My maleficent contemporary evidently only knew beatings and degradation.
Mid 17th century: from Latin maleficus, from male 'ill' + -ficus 'doing'.
Words that rhyme with maleficEfik
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: mal¦efic
Definition of malefic in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.