noun[mass noun] Chemistry
A crystalline acid made by distilling malic acid, used in making synthetic resins.
- Chemical formula: HOOCCHCHCOOH
More example sentences
- Citric acid, maleic acid, and butanetetracarboxylic acid are the three agents used most often.
- Moreover the molecules of maleic acid are polar and are easily hydrated by the polar water molecules.
- If released into water, maleic acid will probably biodegrade based on the results of screening studies.
mid 19th century: maleic from French maléique, alteration of malique (see malic acid).
Definition of maleic acid in:
- The US English dictionary