Having or showing a wish to do evil to others: the glint of dark, malevolent eyes
More example sentences
- She had become this all pervading, evil and malevolent influence on my family and life.
- That evil is malevolent violence, a curse that is the bane of our human existence.
- Even more than the words in the previous paragraph, it suggests an evil, malevolent intelligence at work.
malicious, spiteful, hostile, evil-minded, baleful, bitter, evil-intentioned, poisonous, venomous, evil, malign, malignant, rancorous, vicious, vindictive, revengeful, vengeful, pernicious;
cruel, fierce, nasty, unfriendly, unkind, ill-natured
literary malefic, maleficent
- Example sentences
- Whether malevolently or unwittingly, many leases include improper sections into their leases that are not in accordance with the law.
- He limped up and down the boards, eyeing the audience malevolently past a particularly ugly prosthetic nose.
- His solo is rich, maximal and far from introverted; he sounds almost malevolently focused.
Early 16th century: from Latin malevolent- 'wishing evil', from male 'ill' + volent- 'wishing' (from the verb velle).
Words that rhyme with malevolentbenevolent, prevalent
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: mal|evo¦lent
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.