noun (plural same or mallards)
The commonest duck of the northern hemisphere, the male having a dark green head and white collar.
- Anas platyrhynchos, family Anatidae
More example sentences
- We saw lots of waterfowl, mostly Canada geese and mallards with the odd Gadwall.
- This paper examines the function of female resistance behavior in one of the dabbling ducks, the mallard.
- The teals, mallards and other small ducks were all paddling about.
Middle English: from Old French, 'wild drake', from masle 'male'.
Definition of mallard in:
- The US English dictionary