noun (plural malleoli /-lʌɪ/)Anatomy
- A bony projection with a shape likened to a hammer head, especially each of those on either side of the ankle.More example sentences
- On examination he had mild swelling and tenderness around the medial malleolus of his left ankle.
- Arterial ulcers tend to occur over the distal part of the leg, especially the lateral malleoli, dorsum of the feet, and the toes.
- A venous wound often occurs near the medial malleolus; it is jagged in shape, quite shallow, and usually is not painful.
late 17th century: from Latin, diminutive of malleus 'hammer'.
More definitions of malleolusDefinition of malleolus in:
- The US English dictionary