1Barley or other grain that has been steeped, germinated, and dried, used for brewing or distilling and vinegar-making.
- According to German law, beer can only be brewed using barley, malt, hops, yeast and water - no nasty chemicals are allowed.
- In 1366 he was exporting large quantities of grain, barley, malt, and ale, and in 1382 a large number of woolfells.
- Ale was usually brewed in the lord's household, utilising barley malt, though malted wheat or even oats are recorded.
1.2North American short for malted milk.
- Milk chocolate is notable for such great flavors as caramel, cream, soda-fountain chocolate malt, milk, brown sugar, and vanilla.
- It tasted like a vanilla malt spiked with aluminum.
- It might have worked in a smaller dose, but served in a spaghetti bowl, it tasted like a bottle of cough syrup poured over a chocolate malt.
Convert (grain) into malt: (as noun malting) barley is grown for malting
More example sentences
- The barley is malted to convert the starch, or complex carbohydrates, into sugar through a tedious process.
- TransCon is researching the opportunity to malt alternative grains from the fields of its producers.
- Before barley can be used to make beer, it must be malted, which involves a natural conversion process.
- Example sentences
- The wheat delivers a dry, light maltiness, while Hallertaun hops leave a background bitterness.
- Its sumptuous maltiness is tempered by a goodly amount of bitterness and a mouth-filling hop flavour.
- Although this beer has a fair amount of hops, the caramel maltiness perfectly balances its profile.
malty adjective (maltier, maltiest)
- Example sentences
- We've used a lot of malt in this brew so it's overpoweringly malty at this stage.
- The two German-style beers on offer are a light-coloured, fruity, malty lager and a very dark, smooth Munich beer.
- The roasted coffee came through the malty flavour along with hints of Christmas pudding fruits and a reasonable textured malt finish.
Words that rhyme with maltassault, Balt, exalt, fault, halt, salt, smalt, vault
Definition of malt in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.