Definition of malt in English:
1Barley or other grain that has been steeped, germinated, and dried, used for brewing or distilling and vinegar-making.
- According to German law, beer can only be brewed using barley, malt, hops, yeast and water - no nasty chemicals are allowed.
- In 1366 he was exporting large quantities of grain, barley, malt, and ale, and in 1382 a large number of woolfells.
- Ale was usually brewed in the lord's household, utilising barley malt, though malted wheat or even oats are recorded.
1.2North American short for malted milk.
- Milk chocolate is notable for such great flavors as caramel, cream, soda-fountain chocolate malt, milk, brown sugar, and vanilla.
- It tasted like a vanilla malt spiked with aluminum.
- It might have worked in a smaller dose, but served in a spaghetti bowl, it tasted like a bottle of cough syrup poured over a chocolate malt.
verb[with object] Back to top
Convert (grain) into malt: (as noun malting) barley is grown for malting
More example sentences
- The barley is malted to convert the starch, or complex carbohydrates, into sugar through a tedious process.
- TransCon is researching the opportunity to malt alternative grains from the fields of its producers.
- Before barley can be used to make beer, it must be malted, which involves a natural conversion process.
- Example sentences
- The wheat delivers a dry, light maltiness, while Hallertaun hops leave a background bitterness.
- Its sumptuous maltiness is tempered by a goodly amount of bitterness and a mouth-filling hop flavour.
- Although this beer has a fair amount of hops, the caramel maltiness perfectly balances its profile.
malty adjective (maltier, maltiest)
- Example sentences
- We've used a lot of malt in this brew so it's overpoweringly malty at this stage.
- The two German-style beers on offer are a light-coloured, fruity, malty lager and a very dark, smooth Munich beer.
- The roasted coffee came through the malty flavour along with hints of Christmas pudding fruits and a reasonable textured malt finish.
Definition of malt in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan