noun (plural same)
1A native or inhabitant of Malta or a person of Maltese descent.
- According to tradition the national colors were given to the Maltese by Count Roger in 1090.
- The years between the two world wars were marked by spasmodic European immigration, especially of Italians, Greeks, Croatians, Maltese, and Jews.
- Saint Paul is a powerful national symbol, as he is credited with converting the Maltese to Christianity.
2 [mass noun] The national language of Malta, a Semitic language related to Arabic but much influenced by Italian, Spanish, and Norman French.
- In the case of Britain, they also attempt to obtain information on more recently arrived languages such as Gujarati, Punjabi, Maltese, and Turkish.
- More people know Irish than Maltese, Latvian or Estonian, the protestors claimed.
- How many people, for example, can translate from Latvian into Maltese?
adjectiveBack to top
Words that rhyme with MalteseAchinese, Ambonese, appease, Assamese, Balinese, Belize, Beninese, Bernese, bêtise, Bhutanese, breeze, Burmese, Cantonese, Castries, cerise, cheese, chemise, Chinese, Cingalese, Cleese, Congolese, Denise, Dodecanese, ease, éminence grise, expertise, Faroese, freeze, Fries, frieze, Gabonese, Genoese, Goanese, Guyanese, he's, Japanese, Javanese, jeez, journalese, Kanarese, Keys, Lebanese, lees, legalese, Louise, Macanese, Madurese, marquise, Milanese, Nepalese, officialese, overseas, pease, Pekinese, Peloponnese, Piedmontese, please, Portuguese, Pyrenees, reprise, Rwandese, seise, seize, Senegalese, she's, Siamese, Sienese, Sikkimese, Sinhalese, sleaze, sneeze, squeeze, Stockton-on-Tees, Sudanese, Sundanese, Surinamese, Tabriz, Taiwanese, tease, Tees, telegraphese, these, Timorese, Togolese, trapeze, valise, Viennese, Vietnamese, vocalese, wheeze
Definition of Maltese in:
- US English dictionary
Entry from US English dictionary
(also Maltese terrier)
A dog of a very small long-haired breed, typically with white hair.
- The origin of the Maltese as a distinct breed has never been precisely determined.
- For instance, many people are familiar with the Maltese, a tiny fluffy white dog.
- The American Kennel Club accepted the Maltese for registration the following year.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.