A small brightly coloured tropical American bird with a large head and small bill.
- Family Pipridae (or Cotingidae, Tyrannidae): several genera and many species
More example sentences
- Male golden-collared manakins clear leaf litter from the ground to form courts, which they then use as arenas for intense courtship displays.
- The film captures monkeys in the Nariva wetlands, golden tree frogs housed in bromeliad plants and blue-backed manakins in Tobago.
- Restricted foraging time due to inclement weather and the resultant decrease in food intake is believed to influence hypothermia in manakins and may induce torpor in hummingbirds.
early 17th century: variant of manikin.
Definition of manakin in:
- The US English dictionary