1A member of a people originally living in Manchuria, who formed the last imperial dynasty of China (1644–1912).
- The Qing dynasty was founded by Manchus, who conquered China in the 1640s.
- The Manchus conquered China and established an imperial dynasty which ruled between 1644 and 1911.
- That Huang, a Han Chinese, resented being ruled by a dynasty of Manchus no doubt had something to do with this opinion, as did his desire to strengthen the position of scholar-officials like himself.
2 [mass noun] The Tungusic language of the Manchus, still spoken by a few thousand people in Xinjiang, though most Manchus now speak Chinese.
- He was a custodian of literature, in Manchu, Mongolian, Chinese, Tibetan and the Uigur language of Turkestan.
- It is part of the diverse Uralic-Altaic language family, which spread with the ancient Mongol Empire and also contains Korean, Manchu, Turkish, Finnish, and Hungarian.
- The job, translating the Bible into Manchu, would take him to St Petersburg for two years.
Relating to the Manchu people or their language.
- As an ‘international concession’ as well as treaty port, its special privileges created an enclave exempt from Manchu authority.
- It is set during the early Qing Dynasty, and Gordon Liu plays a man on the run after murderous Manchu oppressors kill his family.
- He asked all the Hans to follow Manchu traditions, shaving their hair from the front of the head and wearing a thick plait at the back.
The name in Manchu, literally 'pure'.
Words that rhyme with Manchuaccrue, adieu, ado, anew, Anjou, aperçu, askew, ballyhoo, bamboo, bedew, bestrew, billet-doux, blew, blue, boo, boohoo, brew, buckaroo, canoe, chew, clew, clou, clue, cock-a-doodle-doo, cockatoo, construe, coo, Corfu, coup, crew, Crewe, cru, cue, déjà vu, derring-do, dew, didgeridoo, do, drew, due, endue, ensue, eschew, feu, few, flew, flu, flue, foreknew, glue, gnu, goo, grew, halloo, hereto, hew, Hindu, hitherto, how-do-you-do, hue, Hugh, hullabaloo, imbrue, imbue, jackaroo, Jew, kangaroo, Karroo, Kathmandu, kazoo, Kiangsu, knew, Kru, K2, kung fu, Lahu, Lanzhou, Lao-tzu, lasso, lieu, loo, Lou, mangetout, mew, misconstrue, miscue, moo, moue, mu, nardoo, new, non-U, nu, ooh, outdo, outflew, outgrew, peekaboo, Peru, pew, plew, Poitou, pooh, pooh-pooh, potoroo, pursue, queue, revue, roo, roux, rue, Selous, set-to, shampoo, shih-tzu, shoe, shoo, shrew, Sioux, skean dhu, skew, skidoo, slew, smew, snafu, sou, spew, sprue, stew, strew, subdue, sue, switcheroo, taboo, tattoo, thereto, thew, threw, thro, through, thru, tickety-boo, Timbuktu, tiramisu, to, to-do, too, toodle-oo, true, true-blue, tu-whit tu-whoo, two, vendue, view, vindaloo, virtu, wahoo, wallaroo, Waterloo, well-to-do, whereto, whew, who, withdrew, woo, Wu, yew, you, zoo
Definition of Manchu in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.