- A circular figure representing the universe in Hindu and Buddhist symbolism.More example sentences
- According to Buddhist scripture, mandalas (geometric designs symbolic of the universe) constructed from sand transmit positive energies to the environment and to the people who view them.
- In the Tibetan Buddhist tradition, mandalas are created for rituals of initiation in which a highly qualified teacher grants permission to advanced disciples to engage in the tantric meditation practices.
- While travelling in India and Nepal, Ellis became interested in the Buddhist mandalas and prayer flags.
- More example sentences
- They float over a mandalic background created from different floral patterns.
- In this country, mandalic art can be found in the Navajo sand paintings and in many American quilts.
- At the most basic level it is hoped that people will enjoy looking at these mandalic images.
from Sanskrit maṇḍala 'disc'.
More definitions of mandalaDefinition of mandala in:
- The US English dictionary