Definition of mandala in English:
A circular figure representing the universe in Hindu and Buddhist symbolism.
- According to Buddhist scripture, mandalas (geometric designs symbolic of the universe) constructed from sand transmit positive energies to the environment and to the people who view them.
- In the Tibetan Buddhist tradition, mandalas are created for rituals of initiation in which a highly qualified teacher grants permission to advanced disciples to engage in the tantric meditation practices.
- While travelling in India and Nepal, Ellis became interested in the Buddhist mandalas and prayer flags.
- Example sentences
- They float over a mandalic background created from different floral patterns.
- In this country, mandalic art can be found in the Navajo sand paintings and in many American quilts.
- At the most basic level it is hoped that people will enjoy looking at these mandalic images.
From Sanskrit maṇḍala 'disc'.
Words that rhyme with mandalapanhandler • meddler
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.