Definition of mandala in English:
A circular figure representing the universe in Hindu and Buddhist symbolism.
- According to Buddhist scripture, mandalas (geometric designs symbolic of the universe) constructed from sand transmit positive energies to the environment and to the people who view them.
- In the Tibetan Buddhist tradition, mandalas are created for rituals of initiation in which a highly qualified teacher grants permission to advanced disciples to engage in the tantric meditation practices.
- While travelling in India and Nepal, Ellis became interested in the Buddhist mandalas and prayer flags.
- mandalic adjective
- Example sentences
- They float over a mandalic background created from different floral patterns.
- In this country, mandalic art can be found in the Navajo sand paintings and in many American quilts.
- At the most basic level it is hoped that people will enjoy looking at these mandalic images.
From Sanskrit maṇḍala 'disc'.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.