Definition of mandatory in English:
Required by law or mandate; compulsory: wearing helmets was made mandatory for pedal cyclists
More example sentences
- In some jurisdictions this is a mandatory sentence of death.
- Murder entails a mandatory life sentence; manslaughter carries with it no minimum sentence.
- The 1997 Act introduced mandatory minimum sentences for certain repeat offenders.
noun (plural mandatories)Back to top
variant spelling of mandatary.
- Example sentences
- For bolstering his ego and political luster he depended also on occasional mass rallies, for which tens of thousands of citizens were mandatorily mustered to express - or anyway, feign - adulation.
- And lastly, we need to mandatorily register outgoing workers and provide them with incentives so that they will register as it has been done in Sri Lanka.
- Residents will be mandatorily evacuated beginning tomorrow.
Words that rhyme with mandatorymandatary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan