nounAnatomy & Zoology
1The jaw or a jawbone, especially the lower jawbone in mammals and fishes.
- The tongue is suspended from the inside of the mandible above the hyoid bone and has muscles with a range of different orientations.
- In the mandible, there are four incisors, two canines, four premolars, and six molars.
- Most use their maxillae and mandibles to take in food.
1.1Either of the upper and lower parts of a bird’s beak: the drake is all black except for an orange mark on the upper mandible
More example sentences
- The upper mandible of the bill is dark, and the legs are bright orange.
- Breeding adults have a laterally flattened horn on the upper mandible.
- The bill is a pinkish horn color and dark markings appear on the upper mandible.
1.2Either half of the crushing organ in an arthropod’s mouthparts.
- They crush the honeybees in their mandibles one after another until the bees are all dead.
- Centipedes were measured from the tip of the upper mandible to the posterior end of the last body segment.
- The trap-jaw ant fires its mandibles with such force to propel itself to the front of the pack.
- Example sentences
- Chewing is a cyclic motion of the mandible and tongue apparatus, whereby food is reduced between the maxillary and mandibular teeth.
- The left mandibular fragment contains the roots of five erupted teeth, one erupted tooth crown, and one unerupted tooth.
- He found this method of mandibular reconstruction to be reliable particularly in irradiated tissue beds.
- Example sentences
- In addition, we have been studying the orthologous genes in the red flour beetle, which has relatively unspecialized mandibulate mouthparts.
- Delayed induced effects have been studied almost exclusively with mandibulate insects.
- Yet the actual morphology of mandibles is very different, a result of distinct mandibulate and haustellate modifications.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: man|dible
Definition of mandible in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.