A Mediterranean plant of the nightshade family, with a forked fleshy root which supposedly resembles the human form and which was formerly used in herbal medicine and magic; it was alleged to shriek when pulled from the ground.
- Mandragora officinarum, family Solanaceae
More example sentences
- This is true of many old medicinal plants like the mandrake, an herb which grows around the Mediterranean.
- Plants, such as the mandrake, orchid, and sweet potato, have, as the history of folk medicine reveals, been credited with rejuvenating properties.
- Last summer at The Yard, an arts colony devoted entirely to dance, he spent a month making Mandragora Vulgaris, a work based on the medieval legend of the mandrake root.
Definition of mandrake in:
- The US English dictionary