- 1A shaft or spindle in a lathe, to which work is fixed while being turned.More example sentences
- While the mandrel is rotating, a layer of shrink-wrap tape is applied to the outside of the composite material.
- Attach these mandrels to an electric motor to make a high quality, low cost work station for various sanding, polishing and buffing operations.
- The drill is switched on and the mandrel rotates.
- 2A rod round which metal or other material is forged or shaped.More example sentences
- Larger rings can be fabricated by forging over a mandrel.
- The heat generated by the mandrel causes the two materials to briefly reach their melting temperature and combine.
- The body of the flute is made by winding carbon fibre around a metal mandrel, using a machine, and then impregnating it with epoxy resin.
early 16th century (in sense 3): of unknown origin.
More definitions of mandrelDefinition of mandrel in:
- The US English dictionary