Definition of mangrove in English:
1A tree or shrub which grows in tidal, chiefly tropical, coastal swamps, having numerous tangled roots that grow above ground and form dense thickets.
- Genera in several families, in particular Rhizophora and related genera (family Rhizophoraceae), and Avicennia (family Verbenaceae or Avicenniaceae)
- The swamps include sago palms, mangroves, and patches of tropical rain forest.
- It feeds on the seeds of a wide variety of trees, shrubs, grasses, mangroves and in rice plantations.
- Likewise mangroves grow well despite transient flooding of their root system with sea water.
1.1 (also mangrove swamp) A tidal swamp which is dominated by mangroves.
- Passing out of the mangrove swamp, we entered a deep marsh.
- They marched until they were knee-deep in a mangrove swamp, then simply turned around.
- The three men raised both arms as they walked ashore and into a mangrove swamp.
Definition of mangrove in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan