Definition of mangrove in English:
1A tree or shrub which grows in tidal, chiefly tropical, coastal swamps, having numerous tangled roots that grow above ground and form dense thickets.
- Genera in several families, in particular Rhizophora and related genera (family Rhizophoraceae), and Avicennia (family Verbenaceae or Avicenniaceae)
- The swamps include sago palms, mangroves, and patches of tropical rain forest.
- It feeds on the seeds of a wide variety of trees, shrubs, grasses, mangroves and in rice plantations.
- Likewise mangroves grow well despite transient flooding of their root system with sea water.
1.1 (also mangrove swamp) A tidal swamp which is dominated by mangroves.
- Passing out of the mangrove swamp, we entered a deep marsh.
- They marched until they were knee-deep in a mangrove swamp, then simply turned around.
- The three men raised both arms as they walked ashore and into a mangrove swamp.
Words that rhyme with mangrovealcove
Definition of mangrove in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.