- another term for bipolar disorder.More example sentences
- This range is emphasized in people suffering from manic depression, a disorder which brings on strong depression as well as extreme happiness.
- I didn't know it at the time, but he was under a psychiatrist's care for manic depression and several other mental illnesses.
- He suffered from manic depression after shell shock in World War II and the festival has been timed to coincide with Mental Health Week.
- More example sentences
- At first, Fisher may have ignored her friends' pleas, but she eventually found a psychiatrist, and a support group for manic-depressives.
- Psychological states that are genetic, like manic-depressive disorder, are extraordinarily difficult to change.
- My father's father, I am told, was manic-depressive back in the days when those words rarely appeared together or separately.
The term manic depression is now felt to have negative connotations, and is being replaced by less loaded terms such as bipolar disorder or bipolar affective disorder. People with the condition can be referred to simply as bipolar, or as having bipolar disorder.
More definitions of manic depressionDefinition of manic depression in:
- The US English dictionary