Definition of manna in English:
1(In the Bible) the substance miraculously supplied as food to the Israelites in the wilderness (Exod. 16).
- The Israelites feasted on manna in the wilderness.
- In the Old Testament it was manna in the wilderness.
- God had fed the Israelites in the wilderness with manna, but also with ‘miraculous flocks of quail’.
1.1Something beneficial that appears or is provided unexpectedly or opportunely: a major aircraft accident is manna to lawyers
More example sentences
- With a cap on what charities could get, however, any further increase in betting limits became manna from heaven for the private casino industry.
- And Parker is manna from heaven for all sorts of reasons.
- The general opinion was he was manna from heaven.
1.2(In Christian contexts) spiritual nourishment, especially the Eucharist.
- When our message is that God is mercy for outcasts and sinners and manna for everyone, how can we not preach?
- God is not only mercy for sinners and outcasts but manna for everyone.
- Can we translate full-gospel preaching, both manna and mercy, into the language of the Web?
Definition of manna in:
- US English dictionary