verb[with object] informal
(Of a man) explain (something) to someone, typically a woman, in a manner regarded as condescending or patronizing: I’m listening to a guy mansplain economics to his wife Apparently you can’t sell a second-hand car for as much as a new one. So glad he mansplained that to me (as noun mansplaining) your response is classic mansplaining
More example sentences
- He tries to mansplain it with a weak athlete analogy, but she cuts him short.
- Bravo, too, for the general misogynist stereotyping, victim blaming and general mansplaining.
- I was accused of "mansplaining" and of writing "a terrible article" that should never have been published.
- Example sentences
- She's somewhat compromised by her romantic attachment to resident "mansplainer" Thomas.
- He's a compulsive mansplainer.
- Hopefully not sounding like a know-it-all mansplainer, what you're suffering sounds a lot like the initial days/weeks after my injury.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: man|splain
Definition of mansplain in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.