- 1A shelf above a fireplace.More example sentences
- In the kitchen the original tins stand on the mantelshelf, an Edwardian overhead drying rack is operated by a pulley, and her father's old Gulbransen radio is on the table.
- There was a soiled and tawdry mirror above a massive metal and marble clock supported by a lion couchant on the mantelshelf.
- Of the walls, one was occupied by the window, the other by a draped mantelshelf bristling with Cupids.
- 1.2 Climbing A move for climbing on to a projecting ledge of rock from below by pressing down on it with the hands to raise the upper body, enabling a foot or knee to reach the ledge: [as modifier]: the mantelshelf techniqueMore example sentences
- Move left and up (poor peg runners) and make a difficult mantleshelf into the pink groove above (good wire low on right).
verb[no object] Climbing Back to top
- Perform a mantelshelf move: she mantelshelfed on a hold as big as a dinner plateMore example sentences
- I sweated and struggled and faffed with the gear explosion that dangled from every gear loop I had until I finally mantleshelfed into a small crawlway eight metres or so above Hils.
More definitions of mantelshelfDefinition of mantelshelf in:
- The US English dictionary