A bird of paradise of which the male and female have similar blue-black plumage and breed as stable pairs.
- Genus Manucodia, family Paradisaeidae: five species
More example sentences
- On the island of New Guinea lives a glossy, bluish black bird called the trumpet manucode (Manucodia keraudrenii).
- Nonetheless, birds with a really extreme elongation, such as the trumpet manucode, may have so much tracheal dead space that it does cause a problem, and in fact, these birds do not migrate and are reported to be somewhat sluggish.
- Manucodes are of considerable interest within the Paradisaeidae because the two species that have been studied are monogamous and non-territorial.
mid 19th century: from French, from modern Latin manucodiata (used in the same sense from the mid 16th to 18th cents), from Malay manuk dewata 'bird of the gods'.
Definition of manucode in:
- The US English dictionary