- 1A Muslim holy man or hermit, especially in North Africa.More example sentences
- At the mosque, the marabout (Islamic holy man) and the father give the baby an Arabic name from the Koran.
- The Maghrib, including Tunisia, has many legends involving Muslim leaders called marabouts (holy men).
- Many Guineans rely on their traditional spirit beliefs and rely on marabouts (dervishes believed to have supernatural powers) and fetishes (superstitious objects) in times of trouble.
early 17th century: via French and Portuguese from Arabic murābiṭ 'holy man'.
More definitions of maraboutDefinition of marabout in:
- The US English dictionary